Animal body plans
Animal Body Plans
Within the plant kingdom are the following groups(phyla) which have common body plans (Animal body plans) :
– The animals kingdom includes the following phyla:
– They are the simplest animals.
– Their bodies are made of two layers of cells.
– They have no lungs or gills (exchange gasses through the skin)
2- Segmented (invertebrates)
– Their bodies are formed of three layers of cells.
– They are formed of similar segments.
– They have a nerve cord a long the belly.
3- Arthropods (invertebrates)
– Their bodies are formed of segments.
– They have segmented legs.
– They have hared outer skeleton.
1- insects ( have 6 segmented legs and 3 body parts)
4- Molluscs (invertebrates)
– They have a shell (to protect their bodies) made of calcium salts.
– Eyes are on tentacles.
– They have a muscular foot (to move).
– Their bodies are not divided
Ex: Octopus – Snails – Slugs
5- Chordates (vertebrates)
– They have a nerve cord along their backs.
– Most of them have vertebral column. (Made of bones)
– It includes 5 groups:
a) Fish (have bony scales, gills and fins)
b) Amphibians (have soft, thin skin and the young are called tadpoles like
c) Reptiles (have horny scales, lungs and lay soft shelled eggs like (snakes)
d) Birds (have feather, wings, lungs and lay hard shelled eggs)
e) Mammals (they give birth, suckle youngs on milk and have hair as human)
– Mammals and birds are warm-blooded animals.
– Warm-blooded, which means that body temperature stays the same when its cold or hot outside.
– Warm-blooded animals, which means that they can make their own body heat even when it is cold outside.
– Reptiles, amphibians and fish are cold-blooded animals.
– Cold-blooded animals, body temperature depends on whether its cold or hot outsid
Vertebrates : they are animals that have backbones.
Invertebrates: they are animals that have no backbones.
Animals body plans