Grade 5 revision 1
Give one word:
1. A method for separating an insoluble solid from a liquid.] [
2. The substance stays behind in the filter paper. ] [
3. The substance passes through the filter paper. ] [
4. A force of friction produced when an object moves through the air. ] [
5. The Earth’s gravity attracts objects towards the centre of the Earth.] [
6. Liquids dissolve in each other. ] [
7. A method for separating a soluble solid from a liquid. ] [
8. Substances which make something less pure. ] [
9. The sum of all the different forces acting on the car. ] [
10. The temperature at which a substance rapidly changes from a liquid to a gas. ] [
Put (√ ) or ( X ).
1. There is less resistance with faster movement. ( )
2. Forces can change the shape of the same objects. ( )
3. Gravity makes everything fall to the ground. ( )
4. Frictional forces act in the opposite direction to the movement. ( )
5. Bike riders in a race wear smooth clothing and helmets designed to increase resistance. ( )
6. Frictional forces are almost harmfull. ( )
7. A car moves at a constant speed when the driving force is less than the resistive force. ( )
8. A bicycle slows down when the driving force is less than the resistive force. ( )
9. Frictional forces can be good and helpful. ( )
10. Air resistance increases the speed of the falling parachutes towards earth’s surface. ( )
11. Energy is push or pull. ( )
12. Without friction force, a moving object may continuou moving for a longer period.(
13. Mineral water is a pure substance. ( )
14. We can speed up the dissolving process by stirring. ( )
15. In a separating funnel, the oil will float over the water because it is heavier than it. ( )
16. For a vehicle to slow down, the driving force from the engine must be reduced. ( )
Give an example for each of the following:
1. Miscible liquids. _________
2. Immiscible liquids. _________
3. Solvent. _________
4. Solute. _________
5. Solution _________
6. Insluble substance. _________
7. Soluble substance. _________
8. Pure substance. _________
9. Impure substance. _________
10. Mixture. _________
11. Separation methods. _________
12. Resistive forces. . _________
Name each separating method of the following.
Give reasons for each of the following.
– The presence of thermometer in distillation experiment.
– Table salt is a pure substance.
– The water evaporates first in simple distillation.
– Tap water is an impure substance.
– Many moving objects have streamlined shape.
– Muddy water is an impure substance.
– A car slows down when a driver pushes the brake